Saturday, January 17, 2009

Dramamine

Somewhere around 1996 I heard a song called Dramamine by modest mouse. I was sitting on the floor of a dorm room in Berkeley and a kid had a copy of the song on 7" vinyl. I remember that this was one of the defining musical moments of my life. The song was a beautiful revolution. It was a hydra, a cerberus. At the time, I wasn't able to articulate what it was that was so incredibly profound about the song, so instead I just stole the record. Amen.







Then, earlier this year I came across this Sun Kil Moon album called "tiny cities." It features eleven songs - all of which are modest mouse covers. The folked down version of dramamine took me back to the floor of that dorm room, waiting for the tenant's attention to wane, and slipping the cool black disc under my shirt. I still have it, no sleeve, no liner, just a scratched up copy of a brilliant song. Thanks dude, I hope you didn't miss it too much.









No comments:

Post a Comment