Friday, January 9, 2009

Tourette's 09

Tonight's show was one of the better shows I've seen at the new Metro in Oakland (3rd and Jefferson). The poets were few and all good, the Freestyle battle didn't have a horribly wack rapper in it, and I didn't get anything thrown at me. Fucking excellent.

Highlights:
45+ year old Burlesque dancer who was hilarious - on purpose.
Jelly Donut making it to the finals in the Freestyle battle... dressed as a honey bee. Seriously.
Seeing a kid I used to teach (his name is Washington - I think he goes by 2dub or something) get to the semifinal bout in the Battle - and he's only 16
hearing a decent breakup poem and throwing on "take these broken wings" by Mr. Mister
playing "no rain" by Blind Melon as soon as I saw dude dressed up like a bee
The Kill Whitey game in which D silence and Dre shot the audience with nerf projectiles while "Welcome to the Terrordome" was blasting in the background.

I'm positive some of the cacophony will be youtubed so get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment