Wednesday, April 16, 2014

16/30 2014

No metaphors.



We walked the tracks
behind the apartments
to the AM/PM. Sean
lived in a blue van
outside & wore garbage
bag diapers whenever
he spent the night -
I never told anyone he
was a bedwetter.  He
never told anyone I
collected spent fireworks
because I liked the smell.
It was a good basis for
friendship.  We found
quarters in a tin can
by the fence out back,
lots of them.   Dividing
the haul into two piles, he
said he had enough for
his mom's cigarettes and
the neon panther poster
he'd been eying.  I got
twenty of the silver -
eagled discs, more money
than I had ever held in my
hand.  I bought the cheapest
candy I could find at the
AM/PM, 15 boxes of
orange Tic Tacs.  This
left a lone quarter, which
I placed on the smooth
iron of the train track,
half believing I'd derail
the train, or at least
make every passenger jump
as they barreled past
my window.

No comments:

Post a Comment