Saturday, April 14, 2012

Year of writing 104. 14/30

4/14/12

14/30

The freedom of it,
polyurethane against pavement
repetitive clicks as 
each control joint on the sidewalk
passes beneath me
and the board.  The way 
wind feels against my face, 
how the world blurs through 
saline veils down the hills.
I picked up my skateboard 
today.  It's rusty, missing 
bolts.  The wheels still turn, 
though - the familiar hum 
of bearings spinning.  I oiled, 
tightened, cleaned - muscles 
moving from memory.  I turned it 
in my hands, placed it on 
the garage floor - heard the pop
of maple against concrete.  It 
sounded a little like a promise, 
a little like a secret. When I ride 
again, on ruined knees and 
achy back, it wont be for thrill
or sport, or even nostalgia.  It will be
for the wind, for freedom and the wind.

1 comment: