Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Year of writing 177.

6/26/12


Summertime is pretty awesome.  One thing I've noticed about having small children is that it jogs old old memories that have been hiding in the recesses of my brain.  I take Isla to the pool with her cousins and remember the community pool in Seattle where I did my own swimming lessons, I remember the sting of chlorine in my eyes when I tried to open them underwater, and floundering around in the shallow end, where just one tippy toe could touch the bottom.  We go to the beach, and I remember the shell that punctured my foot at 5 or 6, and having to wear 6 pairs of socks on one foot so I could walk without pain.  I see my daughter in the sprinklers and remember our big green backyard with the silly clown sprinkler that you had to try and replace his hat with water spraying everywhere, or homemade slip & slides with a trashbag during the three hot days that constitute summer in the great Northwest.  This is what we are doing during these days: generating memories.  I couldn't ask for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment