Friday, June 1, 2012

Year of Writing 152. Week 3

6/1/12

For the last few Fridays, I've been posting how my new job as stay at home dad is going. These are the learnings, the things I'd like to unlearn, and everything in between.

1.  Blueberry waffles with corn syrup for breakfast(we still haven't got it together to buy maple syrup yet), vanilla yogurt and a popsicle for lunch, ice cream with an auntie in the afternoon, pizza and gelato for dessert = child abuse.  Better said, = parent abuse. 

2.  I read that the average American child under 10 watches 5 hours of TV a day.  I need to stop freaking out that Isla wants to watch one Powerpuff Girls before dinner.

3.  When your daughter comes in holding a dried out worm and announces that it's her new pet, embrace that.  It means she's not too grossed out to pick up worms and other slithery things, which makes life way more fun.

4.  Beaches are awesome.  Living next to a beach is a must for hot days with kids.  However, when you have a baby - ALWAYS BRING A HAT AND BLANKET.  In my rush to get to the beach I forgot both.  So I plopped a handful of sunscreen on his head (which worked - no sunburn!), and let my 8 month old just go ahead and play in the sand.  Not such a good idea, especially when there is sunscreen smeared all over his head.  When I turned to help Isla with her sand castle, Miles ended up looking like what everybody who's never seen Star Wars thinks the sandpeople look like.  And sand sticks to dried sunscreen like glue, so I had to rush my little sandpaper baby home for a bath. 

5.  I am the king of smoothies.  Isla is the queen of spilling smoothies.

6. There are times when all Isla or Miles wants is their mommy.  It could be a skinned knee, a hungry baby, a sad movie - but whatever it is, during these times I am so, so glad I don't have to do this alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment