Sunday, January 20, 2013

338. Reading.

1/20/12

I had a rough weekend - 2 late nights in a row, the first being probably the weakest show the Wild Stallions had put on so far.  We hustled hard for a gig in Ventura, and got one for a Thursday throwback set.  That was super exciting, and Jon passed out over 500 flyers in VTA, we took out an ad on facebook, and were expecting a good crowd.  5 people came.  5.  All night.  We made 12 bucks. 

The next night I was super tired and we had a set at the Jester until 2AM - the show was fine, but I was wrecked.  So, when it came to the third night, a poetry/spoken word reading that was set up by my sister and done super underground style (no address, you had to know somebody to get in), I was a little wary of my performance ability.  It has been a couple of years since I have performed a poem live, and I felt really rusty. Luckily, the vibe at the spot was really really nice, it was set up like a speakeasy, with a farm feel, having rosemary pots all over and lots of plants inside. There was a really nice crowd, and I was super nervous when it was finally my turn to go. And, when I started, I forgot most of the first two poems I chose to read, and had to improvise... by the time I had gotten to the last one, I was definitely feeling in the groove.  It was a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment