Monday, December 3, 2012

Year of writing 321. Scott Free.

12/3/12

I have mentioned before how much I dislike going to "meet and greet" things anywhere, much less at Isla's school where for some reason my awkwardness always takes over completely, and the rich stay at home moms all treat me like a homeless rat.  It's not like I'm bitter or anything, though.  Anyway, I avoid these get togethers like the plague, unless it's something that Isla would miss out on because of my own issues.  Then, I man the eff up and handle biz.   

This brings us to today's "Caroling get-together"  apparently the kids all are supposed to go to school around 6 PM and get on a bus to go Christmas caroling at an old folks home and a couple other places.  Meanwhile, the parents are relegated to the library for coffee and "chatting."  I broached the topic with Isla, who said caroling sounded "great," much to my chagrin.  So, I resigned myself to an evening of awkward small talk and warm eggnog.  Just then, Isla's teachers walked by the car, and on a whim, I asked them what this caroling thing was all about, and how many preschoolers went.  She replied something to the effect of "Oh, preschoolers shouldn't go - it's too late at night and they are usually really shy."  Thanks, teachers.

I broke the news to Isla, whose lack of emotional response gave away her lack of passion about the whole situation in the first place.  Meanwhile in my head I was cheering, and applauding the near tragedy I avoided.  Ahh, sweet introversion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment