Monday, December 10, 2012

Year of writing 325. Great-Grandpa

12/10/12

I've been helping my Grandpa with his memoir over the past few years, and he's almost completely done.  He's an extremely motivated man, who very, very rarely fails to finish what he sets out to accomplish, so I'm not surprised.  Today I took video of him talking to one of his best friends about what friendship means over the course of 50 years or so.  Listening to these two men talk, share stories, and laugh was amazing.  They both have such a deep respect for one another that was apparent through every spoken sentence.  One interesting thing to me is that my Grandfather could speak for hours about the business venture he started at 7 years old, selling Muskrat skins to a shop that turned around and made them into the fur lining for bomber jacket collars, but he could scarcely recall one significant detail about his most recent business dealings.  I could attribute it to his Parkinson's disease, but I think it's not the right thing to do.  I think that more accurately, as we get older, and realize what is truly important to us, those events that imprinted on us these important things become clearer, while the end result, the "stuff" we end up with becomes less and less worth remembering.  My grandfather is a lover of lessons, both receiving and giving them, and I think these are what he holds dear to his heart.  These lessons of manhood, of life, of friendship, and of love.


No comments:

Post a Comment