Friday, February 3, 2012

Year of Writing 34 Jordan Chhit


2/3/12

Last Sunday in Oakland, another of my students was gunned down at a party. I remember Jordan as an extremely personable kid, one of those class-clown types that was actually funny, not simply annoying. He cared enough to make his interruptions relevant, and enjoyed being thought of as intelligent as much as he enjoyed being noticed. Jordan's death was a "what, him?" moment for me definitely, although these days Oakland seems to be putting a hit out on anyone aged 3-23. It's a dangerous 20 years. I send my thoughts out to his family, and can only hope that somehow Jordan's life and untimely death can forward some progress toward peace on these cruel blocks in Oakland.


Had him a grill
was all lined up
white T gleamin
fresh Nikes, no crease
"gotta look nice, G."
I know man, but dang -
if you put half the energy
you spent...
"lemme finish that thought
Mr. Gardner.
If I put half the energy
I spent getting ready for class
in class, I'd probably have a 4.0,
right?"
Something like that.
"Bruh, have you seen my GPA?
This is the 3rd A+
you've given me this year.
What, you prepare that speech
for anybody lookin fresh, G?"
I guess...
Those kicks do look nice though.
Where'd you get them again?

No comments:

Post a Comment