Friday, February 24, 2012

Year of writing 53 Sushi with Isla

2/23/12   

Last night Tegan left with Miles for her interview in Santa Barbara.  I picked up Isla for a little Daddy Daughter date at about 5:30, and we immediately decided on Sushi.   This was an easy decision for both of us since her mommy, my wife, is deathly afraid to eat anything that comes from the ocean.  I won't even get into how much that sucks when I really like fish, and she won't touch them.  Oh well. 

At any rate, we got to the sushi spot - Yammy Sushi in El Cerrito, and ordered. Isla got a cucumber roll and shared my sake (salmon not wine) with me, stuffing 2 of the seaweed rice rolls in her mouth at a time.  It was a record dinner, I think we ate in 15 minutes.  Isla drew a picture for the waitress on the back of our receipt, that looked like a girl crying.  Then, she grew concerned that it would be misconstrued, so she had me write on the bottom:  "This is a little girl who is so happy for her sushi that tears came out of her eyes.  Not sad tears, like the tears you get when you are really hot, or when the wind blows in your face."    Hopefully the message was received well.

On the way out the door an older gentleman was waiting to sit with his daughter, who looked to be in her twenties.  He said as we passed: "I have one of those,"  and put his arm around the woman.  "Wait until she gets an acceptance letter to Harvard Medical School! This one here did her undergrad at Princeton.  She thought she was going to be a Rocket Scientist, but we'll settle for a master surgeon."

"Wow!"  I said to the pair.  "My baby already grows up way too fast -"  then to her, "Isla, did you hear that?  Harvard, Princeton, Rocket Scientist, Doctor....isn't that awesome?" 

"Well, daddy - I just want to be a rock star. Not a rock science.  I am the best dancer in the living room." 

I guess it's up to interpretation, but I still think I win.

No comments:

Post a Comment