Monday, February 13, 2012

Year of Writing 44 Video games.

So, back in March of 2009, I wrote this:  http://djmistergardner.blogspot.com/2009/03/march.html#comment-form

Now it is 2012, I am a father of two, the economy is still ratchet, and you'd think I would have learned a thing or two about prioritizing my time (which those of you who have more than one child can attest to, doesn't exist).   However.  There came about this sequel to the game mentioned in the blog above - The Elder Scrolls, Skyrim.  I told myself:  "Don't buy the game, Aaron - it will only lead to inane wandering and endless early morning hours spent collecting various types of cheeses and storing them in virtual cupboards."  Then I bought it.  Next I told myself: "Stick to the storyline, Aaron - don't get sidetracked in all the 10,000 + little sidequests like bringing flowers to some random villager or leading some poor wretch to be eaten by cannibals in a underground cavern, when you know full well you have no intention of joining their flesh eating cult."  This is where I hang my head in shame.  Now don't get me wrong, I don't feel bad about video games, or about adults playing them - I really do believe that it is a 21st century form of adult entertainment, it's just the manner in which I play these ridiculous things.  They become joyless plodding exercises in futility - I mean, I don't even get some kind of in-game prize for collecting all the types of bowls and plates.  There's no extra experience points or gold given if my character's storage barrels have 4,754 apples in them.  It's just sad really.  If they made an online version of "Hoarders" I'd be all over that shit.

So, I must vow here in front of my computer screen to never ever play one of these awful open-ended fantasy games again.  Until the next Elder Scrolls comes out, that is.  For I am strong, but I know my limitations.

No comments:

Post a Comment