Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Year of Writing 66. Not the best artist, per se

3/7/12

In one of the earlier posts, I referenced finding my old poetry in a scrapbook my Grandma gave me about 10 years ago.  I've spent a few days perusing said scrapbook and it's chock full of gems that I'm sure will be included here in the days to come.  Most of the contents of the beginning of the books are drawings that my mom had written a description of in the corner or on the side.  I was happily skipping down memory lane, reading these, until I actually paid attention to the dates attached to the drawings and realized that they were done at the same age Isla is now.  This is disturbing.  I will show you why.  Here is Isla's work:
























Now, note the body, the detail work in that spider and walrus.  I mean, it looks like a little kid drew it and everything, but when you see what I was artistically capable of at 4, these drawings by Isla look like freaking Matisse.

Example 1:

Ok, I don't even know where to begin with this one.  The date on the opposite page puts me at 4 years, 1 month, OLDER than Isla is now.  Really, Aaron?  Is that a witch?  That circle with some dots and a half-assed line down the middle.  Come on, dude.  

Then, more than a YEAR later, I created this masterpiece.  

 I mean, it's got color and everything, but I was FIVE YEARS OLD!  Look, five-year-old Aaron, people have bodies. It's kind of how they can digest food, poop, hold their internal organs, etc...   4 year old Isla understands this -  get it together.  It has to get better though, right?  I mean, I can't really be that ridiculously bad of an artist for ever right?  Check it - 6 years old...


And there you have it.  I'm almost in elementary school at this point.  Is that really a plat, Aaron?  A PLAT?  And dammit, if it's supposed to be a plate, could there be more than like 6 watermelon seeds on it?  The edges of the circle DON'T EVEN TOUCH, Man.  I don't know, if I was my mom, I would have started to get worried at this point.  Especially when juxtaposed against the first drawing, 2 years earlier.  My Plat looks suspiciously akin to the witch above.  How far I progressed in those early years -  Oh well, at least I can live vicariously through the art of my daughter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment