Monday, March 12, 2012

Year of writing 71. the problem kid

3/12/12

I overheard in the the teacher lounge today somebody say something I've heard many times before about that "problem" kid:  "I have a referral with his name written on it before he even gets to class.  That way when he cuts up I can just hand it to him."

It makes me sad.  This is for that kid.

How to teach the problem kid, from a problem kid:

Listen
Don't ignore me when I mess up
Tell me when I did it right
If you say you're going to do something, do it.  Every time.
Set boundaries and be calm when I approach them
Listen
Don't tell me it's easy
Don't tell me to try harder
When I say I hate your class -
I mean that this is hard, and you're embarrassing me
If I raise my voice, show me what calm looks like
be calm
be calm
be calm
The pinnacle of your escalation should be disappointment
I know how to deal with anger directed at me
I know how to shut down
Show me how to earn your trust
Give your trust
Listen
When I say I'm tired, I am.
When I say I'm hungry, I am.
Don't let me use excuses.
Listen
I will push you away
Listen
Listen
Repeat

No comments:

Post a Comment