Monday, September 24, 2012

Year of writing 270. The dentist, part whatever.

9/24/12

My loathing of dentists has been quite well documented.  I am not ashamed of the fact that I have anxiety around dentists, it's just another part of me - as Michael Jackson might have said.  That being said, I usually am cool with cleanings.  I do have sort of sensitive gums, due to the fact that I never really floss, since that would make going to the dentist easier, and I think I might be addicted to the fear of the situation.  However, cleanings are more often than not pretty benign affairs.  So knowing that I had to drop off the boy with my cousin today and get my teeth cleaned wasn't such a big deal - I can handle this kind of thing. 

I was wrong.

It started off fine - great even - the hygienist knew my mom and dad, she was really friendly, and she gave me topical anesthetic for my gums.  Bonus!  Then she got to work.  I was vaguely aware that she was using a whole lot of elbow while cleaning, my lower jaw felt like I was supporting her entire weight on my lower jaw at times.  It wasn't until she said casually, "You'll probably need to take a few advil tonight, and wont be able to eat anything too solid for a while..."  AFTER A CLEANING????  holy crap.   Then, reality came rushing at me when I finally got to rinse, and instead of seeing maybe a pink tinge to the mouthwash, I spit blood like my tongue had just been cut out.  And it didn't stop either - I spit the same bright red horror movie a few more times, and after giving the receptionist a winning bloody smile, spit more on my way home.  As I write this at 8:15 PM (the appointment was at 10 AM), I am no longer bloody, but good god damn, my gums feel like somebody chewed them and put them back into my mouth. 

Its official, I still hate the dentist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment