Friday, July 6, 2012

Year of Writing 186. The way up.

7/5/12

I decided to take Isla on a whirlwind trip back up to the bay.  We left this morning at 9 - dropped off Milesy at Auntie Elizabeth's house and hauled ass up the 101, armed with a portable dvd player, snacks, and the last book of Game of Thrones on the ipad.  Sweet. 

The car ride was actually awesome. Isla and I talked and joked the whole way up, only had to stop once for gas, and made it to Oakland in just over 5 hours, a new record for me.  I took Isla to her old daycare and she played with her best friend Bodie for hours.  I had a beer with Laura and Ryan, then took off to DJ Tourette's without Regrets.

My review of the show:


Started off decent.  The sound man sucked from the get go, never setting up the monitors right, and messing with my volume so I couldn't hear what the house was hearing.  Didn't matter at first, I was just killing a 90's set in anticipation of Sunday's big Wild Stallions show.

Dirty Haiku bout:  Kenyatta killed it.  Clean sweep with a hilarious "ask your mama" haiku.

Slam:  Mediocre.   Katelyn's poem was cool.  Everything else I've heard a million times.

Burlesque:  I was thoroughly entertained by the Rorschach burlesque.  I thought that the dancer was infinitely more talented than a lot of the stuff I've seen at Tourette's so far, at least in a choreography sense.

Games:  American Flag fashion show was good, hot dog baseball way too messy, birthday male strippers were lackluster, really.

Comedians:  I think I remember one.  The Boom Time guy was decent.  The "american" dude was horrible, and the girl I can't remember a joke she said.  Oh well.

B-Boy vs. B-Girl Battle:  The dancers were awesome.  I was really really annoyed at them though.  When I asked what songs they wanted for their set, they were like:  Play 70's soul.  No, funk.  No, 90's hip hop. No, Electro.  No, Breakbeats.  Holy shit, guys.

Rap Battle:  HORRIBLE.  I don't know if the battle rappers had just injected sleeping pills or some shit, but everybody sucked except for ridiculous and the 19 year old rapper that won.

No comments:

Post a Comment