Friday, July 6, 2012

Year of writing 187. The way down.

7/6/12

Part 2 of the whirlwind trip back to the bay. 


I got into Laura's house about 2:15 this morning.  Isla was sleeping in the tent in Bodie's room, so I thought things would be smooth & I would get some sleep on the comfy couch in the living room.  About 12 seconds after falling asleep, Isla came stumbling in, murmuring about how she didn't finish her dinner.  Really, Isla?  it's 2:45 AM and you have to tell me that? After that stunning revelation, she decided she was going to sleep with me on the couch.  Now, I'm not huge, but I am definitely not small enough to share a couch with a 4 year old who sleeps like I imagine a wolverine fights.  At one point her foot was trying to make its way into my mouth.  Needless to say, I slept about 45 minutes. 


There was no turning back, however, so after breakfast, we packed it up and headed back for Ojai.  Only this time no amount of movies, singalongs, storytelling, games of I-spy, or snacks could hold off the beast created by 3 nights of 11:00 bedtimes, too much sugar and tv, and 10 hours in the car.  I also made the horrible decision to drink a 5 hour energy for the first time.  Number one - those things taste like vomit mixed with aspirin.  Number 2 - I feel vaguely like I took a bad hit of ecstasy after drinking it.  Only by the good graces of George R.R. Martin, and a last minute decision to put on Labyrinth twice, did I manage to make it back to Ojai unscathed.  

Beds feel sooooooo goooooooood after a trip like that.  Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment