Sunday, October 21, 2012

year of writing 294. Homeland.

10/19/12

Tegan and I are addicted to the show Homeland.  I love that premium cable channels (and AMC) have gone nuts in the last decade with well produced, well written, well acted, and well received dramas.  Before The Sopranos, the last TV show I actually cared about keeping up with was probably "The Wonder Years,"  and that's almost exclusively because I had a ridiculous crush on Winnie Cooper and would spend the entire show waiting for her character to appear and then imagining what it would be like to have her be my first kiss.  At any rate, these shows have a formula to them that is something akin to crack or black tar heroin for me. Tegan and I have run through The Sopranos, 6 feet under, Deadwood, Game of Thrones, TrueBlood, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, etc... like they were free gelato on a summer day.  

Homeland has a little bit of nostalgia to it as well, because the first show Tegan and I watched together a lot was "My So Called Life"  with Claire Danes.  This was back in High School, and I think Tegan watched the show for the same reason I watched The Wonder Years - only substitute Jared Leto for Winnie Cooper.  I spent the show partially making sure Tegan wasn't comparing me to him, and partially swooning over Claire Dane's angsty character.  To be sure, she's come a long way (not Tegan, who now lusts after Bruce Willis of all people, but Claire Danes).  Her character in Homeland is awesome, and she portrays someone struggling with inner and outer demons masterfully.  I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment