Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Year of writing 129. Community

5/9/12

I came back to Ojai leery of the douchebags that occupied my high school experience here, and if you have spoken to me recently about the move back here, it was probably very high on my grumble list.  However, one thing that I neglected to allow into my thinking was how many awesome people are here also. While the chumbuckets are still here, as witnessed by the last few posts, I have been made acutely aware of the sense of community that a small town offers, and it's pretty amazing.  There has not been a day so far where some friend from the past has stopped by to lend a hand in this ridiculous process of renovating a house, or to bring dinner, or food from their farm, or a case of beer, or a book I lent them in the 9th grade.  I used to be afraid, and thought I would hate being in a place where you know everyone, but now I realize how special that really is, when the people are so cool.  Here's to knowing your neighbors, getting deals at the neighborhood store, walking to EVERYTHING, and a big healthy dose of family.


No comments:

Post a Comment