Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Year of writing 135.

5/15/12

Today I found out that Isla was not accepted to the preschool we really liked when we got here.  We were waitlisted, and it really kinda sucked.  The art teacher there is an old family friend, and her cousin Zia will be in the same class (she was already accepted earlier).  This got me thinking about education in general. 

Things I must remember:  No matter what, the family dynamic plays a huge part in a kid's educational success.

The worst possible school here is maybe one step down from the best school in Oakland.

Isla loves to learn.  She will continue to do so as long as learning is available to her.

School is not the only place learning happens.

Wherever she goes, if I am involved, I'll know if it is right. 

I had no idea that preschool applications could be as mind crushing as college applications were for me 16 years ago.  That feels wrong.  I can only imagine what it is like, in a place like Oakland, for a parent who only sees one decent option for their child dissolve away through bureaucracy or some other bullshit.  I am leagues away from that situation, and need to consider myself lucky.  That's still not going to stop me from hounding these MF'ers until my baby gets into her #1.

Chea.


1 comment: