Thursday, May 24, 2012

Year of writing 144. Dinobaby

5/24/12

Along with drooling copiously all over himself, my son has now at 8 months began to really vocalize.  There are four categories to his sounds:  Crying, Squealing, Cooing, and Dinosaur. 

The crying category can be subdivided into distinct genres as well - the hungry cackle, the "I can't believe you really left me alone to play here on the carpet with this plastic skull while you go pee" wail, the throw the head back and holler teething yowl, the about to fall asleep moan... all amazing, as you can imagine.

Cooing and squealing are actually closely related in nature, these are the happy time sounds, with the squeals reserved for such delights as my parents' obese Vizsla mix with epilepsy and some serious goiters, cardboard swatches that can be dissolved in the drool vortex, and his own reflection.

Dinosaur is my favorite. I don't know what brings it on, but every once in a while, Miles will start a low rumbling.  I guess it's some kind of concentration thing - because at first I thought he was pooping, and I thought "now there's an epic pooping noise!"  However, I was mistaken, there was only thunder, no hail.  Then I noticed he did it when he really was into whatever object he was holding - most recently an empty Gatorade bottle.  First he growls low at it, like a fat pitbull who thinks you're too close to its food, but doesn't want to get up to deal with it.  Then, he puts his chin on his chest and starts moanurgling in a manner which most closely suggests this creature:
The fun continues until the dinosaur noises start to merge with the crying noises, at which point I usually resort to diversionary tactics, like tummy razzberries or pretending to be a big fat happy dog with a goiter.







No comments:

Post a Comment