Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Year of writing 219. The heat

8/7/12

The heat in my new home is something that I had forgotten about.  It doesn't smack you in the face like the dry heat in Vegas, nor does it make you feel like you're drowning, like Louisiana, Florida or New York in the summer.  What it does is seep slowly into your bones, you notice your forehead sweat first, just a sheen, then it starts to move down until you have to immerse yourself in water by any means necessary.  It has been over 100 for a few days now, and I thank the people who invented AC with all my heart.  Same with the people who invented beaches, and pools, and lemonade with lots of ice. 

I remember once in high school, during a 100+ degree summer day in this same hot ass town, my future wife and I thought up a fun game. We got in my red '86 Toyota Tercel hatchback, rolled the windows up, turned the heater on full blast, and tried to see how long we could last.  I'm pretty sure that's why I married her.  We made it all the way to the ice cream store, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment