Sunday, August 26, 2012

Year of writing 236. Putting it together.

8/25/12

Tegan has learned a few things about me in the 18 or so years we've been an item, the most recent being that if I am attempting to assemble some item of furniture, it is best to leave the entire vicinity completely.  I tend to splutter and bluster and curse a whole lot, and when I inevitably lose a wrench or screw or board or some other vital component to the construction of whatever it is I am building, I tend to place blame on persons who are closest geographically to me. 

This has been a hard lesson.  When we got Isla's bunk bed, Tegan attempted to help me with the construction. With a hopeful heart she asked while I was cursing a crooked bolt if I needed her to hold the bed a certain way.  Not only did I decline her help in a less than chivalrous fashion, I proceeded to blame the crooked nature of the bolt on her as well - I believe it was something about her femininity which acted like telekinesis and bent it. 

This latest trip to the furniture store, however, during which we purchased a do it yourself patio table and chairs, I could tell was going to be a doozy, when it took 30 minutes to figure out how we were even going to fit it into the car. Like I said, however, Tegan has learned a few things, and this time, instead of offering to help, she grabbed both kids and hightailed it to her mom's house, safe from my curses and blame. Not only that, but she came home to a brand new patio set.  Way to go Teg.



No comments:

Post a Comment