Saturday, August 25, 2012

Year of writing 235. Hunger Games.

8/24/12

Finally, after years of teaching the Hunger Games in Middle school to kids who all of a sudden realize that reading can be exciting, I got to see the movie tonight on my big huge monster of a consumer TV.  I thought that the movie was excellent.  Katniss was cast wonderfully, as were Haymitch, Peeta and the reporter guy.  Lenny Kravitz was pretty good as Cinna, and Rue was played beautifully by Amandla Stenberg (whose casting controversy over twitter and social media because she is black was the most pathetic demonstration of racism and illiterate whining that I have seen in awhile).

I was entertained through most of the movie, although I felt like Katniss & Peeta's feigned romance was rushed, and there were opportunities to add more action to the forest scenes.  I'm glad that the studio decided to keep the movie as violent and dark as the book, since the lessons taught here really do hinge around death and violence as entertainment.  Overall, I give it an A.  Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment