Thursday, August 16, 2012

Year of writing 227.

8/16/12

I don't understand how a kid's mind works sometimes.  Today Isla was a little bored in the morning, so I thought I'd show her how to sharpen her colored pencils (a 12 pack of unsharpened crayolas).  She was pretty stoked on using the electric sharpener, and I figured it would buy me enough time to feed the baby some breakfast.  Almost 2 hours later, I had to go in and see what she was doing, because she hadn't come out of her playroom yet.  I expected to find her coloring or drawing something, but instead she had found my Teachers stash of colored pencils from art class - I'm talking about the butt ends, floor pencils and broken pieces I had saved for free time over the last ten years of teaching.  There are probably over a thousand pencils in this box.  One by one, she was methodically sharpening the pencils, then carefully breaking the really sharp tip, just like I had shown her.  She was so rapt that I couldn't bring myself to interrupt her. 

So the good news is, her ADD is not as rampant as I thought.  The bad news is I have to substitute the letters OCD instead.  Oh well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment