Friday, August 10, 2012

Year of writing 221. The wall.

8/10/12

I've been a full time stay at home dad now since May.  That's three months of not knowing what the date is, having schedules dictated by when gymnastics practice is, when the baby needs a nap, what we need for dinner, and when the pool is open.  Usually things are golden, it's easy - I keep kids busy with some kind of activity and get some stuff done when it's quiet.  Today, however I hit a wall.  Actually, it was more like I hit the median wall doing 120 in a Mazda Miata.  Boom.  It happened about 9:23 AM, when I realized we ran out of maple syrup and Isla refused to eat her waffle with butter and powdered sugar.  I just kind of quit.  It's a little surreal to take a break from yourself when you have kids screaming around you, to just sit in a chair and zone.  Unfortunately, life with children doesn't have a pause button.  Fortunately, I have a daughter who possesses a high maturity level for a four year old.  I calmly explained to her that I needed some alone time, and I would really appreciate it if she would go color, or shave the cat, or light matches somewhere unsupervised, to which she replied; "can I eat some of my sugarless gum?" Yes, Ma'am, you may.



No comments:

Post a Comment